Friday, July 11, 2008

NICU NICU I LOVE NICU

so, my CI called in sick today, so I was able to observe TICU with a new OT for 1 pt. Then I went to NICU with another OT. I was stoked. I freaking LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEE NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit)!!! I saw the tiniest babies I've ever seen. The smallest one being 2.5 pounds!! & her PCA was term! (her post conceptual age was 38 weeks). She was born at 34 wks so it's strange that she's so small. But man, NICU was amazing. I really think I've found the love of my OT life. Actually, I am probably going to go to the NICU for the 2nd 6 wks of my 12 wk rotation. The OT said I'll get to do all the treatments with the babiesssss!!!!!

ok. so anyway. I can't be a NICU OT right out of school - I have to have 2 yrs clinical experience. But it's possible to work for 2 years in the same location as a NICU but in a rehab (either acute or inpt) then transfer to NICU. So, I dunno - we'll see!

I'm excited to learn more & more about OT in the real world!

xoox

No comments: