Friday, July 4, 2008

Gil's going to the Olympics!!

I can officially say that I now know an Olympian! My best friend (I have a lot of best friends!) Dottie (the one who is getting married Sept 6th!) has 2 younger brothers, Gil & Brooks. All 3 kids have been swimming forever - but I knew them all b4 they started swimming...just for the record. Gil, the middle one, swims for Georgia and is a senior-ish there. He just went to Olympic trials this week to compete to go to Beijing. He was ranked 3rd in the nation going into his event - the 200 fly. He had to place at least 2nd to make the team. Well, Michael Phelps - that stinker - dominates the 200 fly. So Gil was vying for 2nd place against Tarwater - Phelps' teammate apparently. Gil was 2nd going into the semi-finals & 3rd going into the finals. He swam his personal best time for the finals & beat Tarwater, got 2nd, and is now going to the Olympics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. What a week! I will update you on the rest of my week very soon. It's been very hectic.

So, if you don't watch anything else in the Olympic games, make sure you watch Gil Stovall in the 200 fly.

Here's what my congrats was to Gil: "Dude, no pressure, but can I touch your gold medal when you get back from Beijing? Thx."

Hopefully, he'll let me!

No comments: