Sunday, April 3, 2011

San Felasco Hammock




Hammock. Not as in the kind from which I am posting (think lazy). No, in fact, it's the ecological kind. The kind of hammock that takes thousands of years to form.

There are two entrances to SFH. The south entrance has 3 different trails off Millhopper Rd in Gainesville. No bikes there. The north entrance is almost to Alachua on 441 where bikers can go crazy. Running & horses allowed up there, too. Before I gave up running, the south trails were my sanity. I ran there with a friend, too, on most occasions, which kept me accountable. I ran one of the north trails with some running friends, too, which was back in early Dec when it was VERY WINDY making it VERY COLD. We had a blast nonetheless.

HISTORY WARNING. San Felasco was the sight of some battles - can't exactly remember which ones. Maybe some from the Seminole war? I read about it in Lars Anderson's book on Paines Prairie, but can't remember. I do know the name is thought to be derived from Saint Francis - patron saint of animals and the environment. Anyway. Lots
of preservation re: this area - it's 7000 acres!

It's fabulous though not much historic to "see" per se, better for hiking, running, biking, horseback riding.

Good ol' armadillo. On this run, it was the first warm day in a while. I happened upon several DOZEN armadillo during my 5 mi run that afternoon. Crazy. You could hear them digging all around. Surround-sound brought to you by your fave roadkill.

No comments: