Sunday, April 3, 2011

The Great Florida Savannah

Paynes Prairie. Wow. Tons of history. Fabulous wildlife. Wonderful trails. Superfun outdoor activities. Great scenery. Local author Lars Anderson provides a memorable tribute to Florida's great savannah in his book, paynes prairie, which I borrowed from the local library and read. Again, another one of FL's sinkholes.


I've been to PP twice now - once I hiked Bolen Bluff Trail with my mom and dad when they came to visit beginning of Nov 2010 (one of my patient's recommendations). We saw wild horses!!! *cue Garth* and lots of birds. Paynes Prairie is afterall a gateway to "The Great Florida Birding Trail." Another one of my patients told me occasionally whooping cranes can be seen here! (In my other life, I am an occupational therapist). Anyway - can't seem to find the pix of the horses? Maybe I took them with my parents' camera? At the end of the Bluff, there is an observation tower which was pretty awesome. Make sure (as all hikes) you take water though - not very much shade once you get to the bluff part.

Whooping cranes have been seen in the above places (See FL?!? that's around PP) according to wikipedia entry.

Anywho. The second trip to PP was with the hubs. We visited the amazing visitor's center, climbed the observation tower at the end of Wacahoota Trail, hiked Jackson's Gap, and drove past Lake Wauberg which is BEAUTIFUL. The visitor's center is chocked full of history and has very clean bathrooms. Jackson's Gap is very shady and sandy - again take water. Though we didn't do anything there that day, Lake Wauberg has tons of things to do including kayaking, sailing, rowing, fishing, etc.


We also drove through downtown Micanopy that day though we didn't stop (no time). But, boy oh boy, do we have plans to go back! Such a neat little downtown area with antique shops, coffee shops, and the Mosswood Farm Store. The family who owns Mosswood Farm Store has a family member in TN by the name of T who is my friend. So, I plan to go there - just haven't had a chance. Downtown Micanopy is ADORABLE to say the least. So look for a future post re: antiquing there!


Here are some links for more information: http://www.pineapplepress.com/paynesprairie.html (Lars Anderson's book for purchase)



http://mosswoodfarmstore.com/ (Mosswood Farm Store)


and here are some pics from B's & my visit:



Tree huggin' on Jackson's Gap Trail Bubba & Big Tree on Jackson's Gap



This is actually on private property right next to Jackson's Gap Trail which is named for Archie L Jackson, a 19th century catlle ranger who moved cattle through a gap in the fence near Chacala Pond (according to wildernet.com). If I remember correctly, this remnant of a barn/house was used by Jackson - don't quote me on that.


No comments: