Thursday, August 14, 2008

BEIJING!!! #5






Hey Everyone,

So I'm sure most of you have seen the results by now. I'm sorry I tried to email yesterday, but the internet here was acting up. Gil placed 9th by 1/100 with a 1:55.36. It was a bit of a tough blow, BUT he's an Olympian. NOTHING beats watching him walk out onto the deck as one of the best in the world. I am glad to say that he is in good spirits. He may be a little more disappointed than he's showing, but that just goes to show how strong of a person he is. The first words out of his mouth when I saw him were "I made it here". In the taxi on the way to eat with Gil we were talking about the race....about what an accomplishment it is to be here.He said it's like that joke "What do you call a Medical school graduate with the lowest GPA? A doctor." Point being....he's an Olympian no matter his place or time. I'm so glad he has that perspective. Although, I confess a few tears streamed down my face at the end of his race. I wanted it for him. I look back four years ago at this time and Gil was 9th at Olympic Trials....now he is 9th at the Olympics with the fourth fastest time in the world. WOW...incredible! It's all about the process.

After talking to him it sounds like he may have been a little over tapered. He may have lost some conditioning because of that. The good thing is he knows for next time. I just keep thinking....maybe it's meant to be Gil AND Brooks in London, both winning medals together for the first time!!! Who knows what's in store.

We're all so proud of him! Thanks for all your prayers and support. This has been such an incredible experience.

Gil will be coming home to Memphis at some point soon. I say we all give him a HUGE welcome home!!

See ya soon
Dottie





No comments: